The Phantom of the Opera
Silent Film with Live Organ Accompaniment by Todd Wilson
The film, adapted from Gaston Leroux’s 1910 novel, The Phantom of the Opera was originally released in 1925 as a silent horror film. The story follows the disfigured Phantom, played by Lon Chaney, as he causes havoc throughout the Paris Opera House. The destruction and bloodshed are all in the name of love, as The Phantom tries to win the heart of a young opera singer by making her a star.
Accompaniment to the film will be provided by Organist, Todd Wilson on Stambaugh Auditorium’s 1926 E.M. Skinner pipe organ. Todd Wilson is head of the Organ Department at the Cleveland Institute of Music and Director of Music & Worship at Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Cleveland, OH. He is the curator of the E.M. Skinner pipe organ at Severance Hall and House Organist for the Aeolian Organ at the Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens in Akron. An active interest in improvisation has led to his popular improvised accompaniments to classic, silent films.